Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Wedding Carnival

My daughter is the BIG 2-1....On your marks! Get set! Go! And its started! The race to my father's and mother's sure-shot step to Heaven (read: my kanyadaan) has started. A girl barely turns 21-22 of age and the "all the grooms' moms and groomsmen" start looking at her as a chunk of prime meat to be fought over.

Joining my parents in the Great Indian Wedding Carnival to find me a "good" (read: same caste, well-educated, same caste, earning well, same caste, decent-looking...did I mention same caste?) groom is my Great Indian family...which would include: my well-meaning aunts (but with serious issues) who have tucked in the pallus of their bandhanis and sallas and turned into the best of the salesmen as far as their "chosen boys" are concerned. There is cut-throat competition among them and I guess I should just get out of their way and let it be amongst them...

So now from a whole world of orthodoxes, and traditionalists, and modern-traditionalists (yeah they exist among Indians; they appreciate western culture and can allow the women to work,but they want her to be of the same caste and accomplished in all household duties), commitment phobics, fat and balding Gujjus and some downright creeps (Oh the stories I can tell from Dida's and my experiences!) a groom will be chosen for me. To hell with checking for compatibility (ummm....thoughtwise..I can't even mention the other types of compatibility for fear of giving my aunts and parents aneurysms)... according to all if he is of the same caste, well-educated, and earning well,....well......he is a good match.

But all this has its side benefits:

1. They are struggling to and will have to struggle a lot to find me a groom who will be as educated as me in my community.

2. The laughs at seeing my aunts snipe at each other trying to "sell their boy" to my mom and dad.

3. Listening to some of the really weird demands people have of their future spouse/ daughter-in-law. What an eye-opener to the study of human nature!!

But trust me: the laughs are worth it!!!

2 comments:

  1. hehehe!! Awesome post!! I don't know whether I should call you lucky for getting these laughs or worry about the pressure you must be facing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am trying to strike a balance between the two.....but somehow the laughs always win!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete