Sunday, August 15, 2010

Independence Day

Over the years, the meaning of Independence Day has changed for me.

In school, it was a day to go to school despite it being a holiday, one of the few days of the year, when we sang the national anthem and one of the two days of the year, when the national flag was unfurled. But it was still something I could relate to remotely.

During college, I-Day was associated with Malhar elims, and except for the morning flag ceremony, it was just another day of college festivals. Independence day still had some value.

Today, it was a day I caught up on some long pending sleep, and rest and went for a movie.
It's not that I am not patriotic.

I still sing the national anthem aloud before every movie, despite people staring at me as if I have lost it, India is the only country I want to live forever, even as far as travelling is concerned, India is the first geographic region I want to explore, and all my dream destinations of travel are in India. Hindi is still on top of my list as a favourite language and the dream languages I want to learn are all India: Bangla, Punjabi et al.

I truly believe in the potential of India, if I didn't why would I love every bit of it? Why would I want to stay here and help build it?

I really respect what our leaders and forefathers must have gone through to get us the freedom, we sometimes take for granted. My only point of contention about this day is that as a newer generation, living with new experiences, struggling with the concerns of our time, as a generation struggling to find leaders we can look up to, we find it difficult to relate to this day.

It's not that we aren't patriotic; any one would just have to say one word against India to see how passionately we love it and defend it.

I love my country! And respect it!

No comments:

Post a Comment