Thursday, September 9, 2010

Real People Different Lessons

Working with the underprivileged puts a lot of things in perspective. Every time I feel my life is not going too well, there is one story I think of, and everything is all right with the world.

I was in the 10th standard, when as a part of our Scouts and Guides Volunteering work, we visited Aashadaan, a home for the underprivileged. There we met Usha, a mentally retarded 10 year old girl. She was a severe case of mental retardation and had trouble with speech. And she did not have long to live either.

But her spirit...just shone. She was so happy to see us come visit. She was the first person we met, and just her open armed acceptance help us lose some of our nervousness of how to interact with them. She was so happy to see me and my friends, that she could but laugh. And when I just said hello, she took my arm and pulled me towards the swings, and we played on them. She insisted on songs because she loved music and when we sang she danced. Oh what a spirit!

I thought if only people who have everything could have even half her happiness and spirit, the world would be such a better place.

Usha passed away last year. I didn't cry because I know she wouldn't want me to. But she is always in my memory as someone I think of when I feel life isn't what I want it to be. I still remember I had a Tshirt that read "This is not the life I ordered" which Ithrew away when I heard of Usha's death and remembered all the wonderful things I had learnt from her.

2 comments:

  1. HIGHLY valuable lessons of LIFE....not taught in ANY school. or...yeah...in the school of LIVING [not existing!]!!:D!!

    THANK YOU for sharing this wonderful experience with us, D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always a student of life jaan! I am enrolled for life!

    ReplyDelete