Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Joy of Reading

Curling up on a cold winter or rainy day with a warm blanket, a hot cup of coffee and a good book......ahhhhhh one of life's best pleasures!

What do books mean to me? Everything. From a way to unwind, to a way to learn, to go to when I have doubts.....everything.

My love for reading comes to me from my grandmother and my father. He introduced me to the beautiful world of the written word and stories. It started with Archie comics and Tinkle comics, perfect way for a 7 year old to spend her summer vacation afternoons.

This love did not fade with time but just grew with me. From comics I moved on to children's fiction...from the classic Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton to Judy Blume and Nancy Drew.

As I grew I moved on to classics in both Hindi and English, poetry, and now I have diversified to non-fiction books especially management and psychology books.

I clearly remember an incident where we had a motivational speaker come our school to address us. He asked us if we were given 86400 a day, what would we spend it on? My first thoughts were "books, books, books!!!" Well 86400 referred to the number of seconds in a day..........and I haven't changed my answer till date!!!

Reading frees me....it helps me express my self in the way I interpret what I read. it helps me boost my imagination. and I always am touched by something in a book...be it a word, a line or an emotion. I have a diary full of such words and emotions......

1 comment:

  1. they r ur best friend...never complain..n always hv something to teach!:P!

    ReplyDelete