Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Toasts

No! This post isn't about bread....I sitll haven't lost my mind enough to write about that.....! I mean really: how many variations can there be to that toast? Really??!! This post is about the anticipation of that "heady" feeling; the small celebration of things that is before a drink.

I love raising toasts! There is definitely something to be said about the summing up of the reasons of celebration (be it birthdays or weddings or simply the end of a long Monday!) in a few words and dedicating that drink to it.

My father, a solitary drinker on most family social occassions, would tell us this story almost every time he raised a toast about why toasts are raised (or in his words why "cheers!" is said) before a drink. You see, a drink has something for all the senses: colour for the eyes, taste for the tongue, smell for the nose and the coolness for skin, but it doesn't have anything to give to the ears, and hence toasts are raised to make up for that particular lack.

Some of my favourite toasts? My fathers "cheers!" before his annual beer bottle (yeah my mom used to allow him like only once a  year), the one raised to fresh lime soda on my ex's best friend's birthday, the one raised on the night of my first beer, the one when me and CD went out for our first drink together, the one raised on and to my first cocktail and of course our perennial toast to our "San/Sun"/ All these toasts hold great memories for me!

So ladies and gentlemen, please raise your glasses to the "cheers" that create great memories...to toasts!

2 comments:

  1. heh. Trust me, bread is not what came to my mind when I read the title. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. of 'bread' n more!:P!
    http://virsanghvi.com/vir-world-ArticleDetail.aspx?ID=595

    ReplyDelete