Sunday, February 27, 2011

Malgudi Times

Nostalgia thy trigger is simplicity! Ah how simple times were when we were younger. Of the shopping expeditions I have been on off late.... they have included books too! See now I realised I used to hate shopping till I realised shopping can be for books too! Bazinga! Yay to that!


This blog is dedicated to some of my all time favourite books which I bought more of this time: to R.K. Narayan and his town of Malgudi. I managed to lay my hands on a few of the episodes of Malgudi Days (remember tana na na na na na na?) and that in turn triggered off a shopping binge of R K Narayan books....so I bought Swami and His Friends, The Bachelor of Arts, Malgudi Days and the Financial Expert....ah! Some of his other books that I have savoured are the Guide (trust me the movie doesn't even come close to doing any justice to it!) and Salt and Sawdust (this one though not one of  the more popular ones is a must read!)

What strikes me the most about his books is how he managed to create an entire town with its own geography, customs, quirky characters. Malgudi is just like another town we would find in South India and yet it has its own unique flavour! Another thing about his books is the Narayan style of humour....its quite subtle and very unique and hard to emulate....many havee tried and failed because there can only be one original, isn't it?!

So a toast to R.K. Narayan, his Malgudi, its characters and to warm childhood and adolescent evenings spent curled up to good books!

No comments:

Post a Comment