Sunday, March 20, 2011

Delhi Times

D-d-d-d-d-dilli dilli dilli.... d-d-d-d-d-dilli dilli dilli... This song has been playing continuously in loop in my head for the past three four days since I got the confirmation that my induction is definitely going to be in Delhi in May second week.....

"Delhi in May! It's going to be SOOOO hot! You'll hate even going out of the room! Don't make much sight seeing plans" Thanks for the heads up everyone! As if I didn't already know that! I mean seriously people..go on state the obvious one more time....as if evenings are going to be as hot as mornings or afternoons..and thats when I plan to do all my sightseeing....because hell I am going to a new place, for the first time on my own and I am NOT going to miss seeing it because of well...some people's irrational comments... 

So for the past two days I have been making lists of places I want to see in  Delhi.....the "city of kings" and the seat of power of my country. Here are the sites I plan to see...or at least a longer wishlist which I may reduce in the days to come depending on how much time I actually have:

1. ISKCON temple: I have this thing....whichever city I have visited (which are not too many seriously) I have seen the ISKCON temple there if there is one, so I have seen Ahmedabad's.  one of the very few sites I have seen in the city that is kinda like my native place..... Mumbai's (very recently...shameful considering I have lived 22 years here), Bangalore's....and I find quite some peace in these temples and I want to visit as may of them as possible. Delhi has one! And I will be there! So this tops my list!

2. Red Fort, Qutub Minar, India Gate: I would really be a fool to go to Delhi and not see these classics!

3. Humayun's tomb: When I was about 11years old, I saw Aurangzeb's tomb.....and was in awe of the grandeur with which Muslim rulers were treated in their rests....so want to visit this one too!

4. Raj Ghat

5. Chandni Chowk: for seeing the purani dilli 

6. Pranthwaali galli, Hotel Sarvana Bhavan, etc etc: I plan to meet my foodie friend Radhika in Delhi, if she has no travel plans, and explore Delhi gastronomically! More on that will be on my food blog if I manage it!

So here's to the city which beckons me soon! 

5 comments:

  1. Dilli Haat for shopping!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and I am totally coming with you! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! Thanks for the heads up! Let me know about your plans if you do intend to come...we'll work somethings out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MUAH! GOOD to see u all excited! the heat IS abominable..but we can manage well..with LOTS of sunscreen...googles...and by keeping ourself adequately hydrated!

    Isckon Temple..AH! i have THAT thing for Birla temples!:P! so..will take u to both..and 1-2 gurudwaras too!:D!

    Chandni Chowk takes one day [actually more..but, can be manage!]. THANKS a ton for mentioning paranthe-wali gali!:P! it reminds me tht i hv to write abt it! [went there with Mayu n the girls!!]

    COME SOOOOOOOON!

    oh..btw...dilli haat is stupid for shopping. Sarojini Nagar [SN] n Janpath r WAY better! SN is 10 mins walking frm my home..n Janpath is CP[eeeeee]!!:D!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Radhika! I have been praying that you don't have any plans that week or at least for the one Sunday I'll be there....I still am to receive the detailed plans for the trip.......as soon as I get them we can make some plans!!! :-) Can't wait to (hopefully) see you soon!!!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SAME HERE!!! my exam season has now begun..and will last until 20th may. fingers crossed for u n me!:D!

    ReplyDelete